Three-storey building in fairly austere, vaguely Jacobean style in hard, finely jointed red brick and terracotta. It was built as a market hall with town hall over, dominating the town and offering excellent views at upper levels. Central arched entranceway with elaborate canted window over with entablature; attic level with ornamental terracotta features and a balustrade with small Dutch gable flanked by obelisk finials at centre. Converted to theatre in 1902, the town hall has an elaborate bombe-fronted balcony on three sides bearing Welsh emblems and supported by iron pillars. Stalls seating has been replaced by a demountable stadium block of raked seating, rising to the level of the balcony. Original ceiling beams and grilles only exposed, now set with tiles between to hide house lighting. Altered proscenium to accommodate film and an added apron stage for ballet and opera.
- 1902 : continuing
- Owner/Management: Local Authority (Gwynedd Council)
- 1900 Design/Construction: as Market Hall and Town Hall (architect unknown).
- 1902 Use: continuing
- 1902 Design/Construction: Town Hall converted to theatre (architect unknown).
- 1990 Alteration: raked seating introduced, refurbished and upgradedBute Partnership- Architect