The Theatre Royal was built for Charles Revill of Stockport. It had a façade of dark Accrington bricks with Derbyshire stone dressings, three storeys in height with a crowning balustrade. The central entrance bay was slightly advanced, rising to a rather oddly detailed Dutch gable. Hipped roof with central fleche. Iron entrance canopy with outsize corner lanterns and a treillage front, forming a balcony to the first floor French casements.
The auditorium, a horseshoe on plan, had two balconies, each divided into two seating areas, viz. dress and ‘upper’ circle on the lower tier and amphitheatre and gallery on the upper. The ornamentation was described as ‘Arabesque’ in character with pedimented private boxes and ‘pinnacled canopies’ (? to the slips). Painted decorations by Binns with Indian drapes and scrolls and, in the ceiling, Indian heads and grasses. Act drop with nautch girl. Proscenium with chocolate-coloured marble piers and elaborate embossed plush valance; Japanese papers in boxes; olive green and gold upholstery.
The theatre was in use for forty years for variety shows, converting to cinema use in 1931, and returning to theatre in 1939. It was famous for touring pantomimes at Christmas (a different one every week) and circus, as well as variety. Gave over to repertory in 1951, closing in 1953.
- 1891 - 1953
- 1891 Design/Construction:Frank Matcham- Architect
- 1891 Design/Construction:Jonas Binns- Consultantart decorationStott- Consultantventilation and sunburnerA&R Dean- ConsultantseatingKendal Milne- Consultantcurtains and upholsteryRyan of London- Consultantact drop
- 1891 Owner/Management: W J & C B Revill, owners
- 1891 - 1953 Use:
- 1931 Alteration: converted to cinemaUnknown- Architect
- 1939 Alteration: returned to theatre useUnknown- Architect
- 1951 - 1954 Owner/Management: Jack Rose Repertory Players, lessee
- 1954 - 1955 Owner/Management: Emery Circuit Cinemas Ltd, lessee
- 1956 Owner/Management: Myles Byrne (West End) Theatres Ltd, lessee
- ListingNot listed