Built as assembly rooms in 1865, equipped for theatrical use. Became a cinema by 1912 but retained stage plays and music and dancing licence. Now exclusively a cinema. Stuccoed, parapeted façade, in three major bays, the centre advanced and pedimented. Recess containing openings (blind at first floor) in outer bays, framed by plain pilasters carrying semi-circular arches. The centre similarly treated but with three recesses linked as an arcade. Interior has single balcony.
The entire stage house has been demolished to permit the building of squash courts for the adjacent Royal Gate House Hotel. The back wall is now situated just behind the proscenium arch and the cinema screen is flown in front of it with a consequent loss of the front four rows of seats.
Cinema use ceased in September 2000.
- 1865 - 1987
- Alteration: n.d. stagehouse demolishedUnknown- Architect
- 1865 Design/Construction:Unknown- Architect
- 1865 - 1987 Use:
- 1908 Owner/Management: Gate House Hotel Co
- 1966 Owner/Management: Mr Fry of Fry’s Enterprises, lessee
- 1972 Owner/Management: Reverted to Gate House Hotel
- CapacityLaterDescription1908: 700
- ListingNot listed