The theatre, converted in 1972 from the Victoria Methodist Church, became the home of the Apollo Theatre company (established 1953) in 1972, after great fundraising efforts. The amateur theatre continues to improve the venue as funds allow. Built as a chapel in 1804 and enlarged in 1833 the building still has a splendidly preserved two-storey Georgian front in red brick with gauged brick arches; three windows wide with a broad gable forming an open pediment. Greek Doric door case. Galleried interior. Stage with hemp sets (no flying); removeable forestage. In 1992 the building next door, 124 Pyle Street (now known as Hancock House), was purchased and converted to a prop, costume and furniture store and rehearsal room. In 2000 a bar and coffee lounge was added. In 2003 a scenery store and in 2006 an attic costume store were created. In 2012 the theatre purchased an offsite store to provide further storage, set construction and rehearsal space.
- 1972 : continuing
- Owner/Management: Apollo Theatre Company, lessees
- 1804 Design/Construction: as a methodist chapelUnknown- Architect
- 1833 Alteration: enlargedUnknown- Architect
- 1972 Use: continuing
- 1972 Alteration: conversion to theatre useUnknown- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1995: 132