Palace

1316

The Palace has the distinctive long body and plain façade of an early cine variety house. The façade has been rendered, obliterating all original features. Stage use was occasional, and not recent. A balcony, inserted in 1931 now forms a well-maintained small 'de luxe' cinema. Downstairs is used for bingo. The stage remains in situ.

Built / Converted
1914
Dates of use
  • 1914 - 1939
Current state
Extant
Current use
Bingo (Bingo downstairs, cinema upstairs)
Address
Normandy Street, Alton, Hampshire, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
-
Events
  • 1914 Design/Construction:
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1914 Owner/Management: Phillips family of Aldershot, owners
  • 1914 - 1939 Use:
  • 1931 Alteration: balcony inserted
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1984 Alteration: twinned
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1984 Owner/Management: Spedeworth International, owner
  • 1988 Owner/Management: Mark Eaton, owner (son of MD of Spedeworth International)
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Later
    Description
    1951: 825
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
-
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -