The Intimate Theatre was built by Father Gallagher, a priest of St Monica’s and a builder who had taken the cloth late in life. It was called St Monica’s Hall, the name by which it is known today. Built in 1931, it opened as a full-time repertory theatre in 1935. It reopened in 1969 as an amateur theatre. The exterior is that of a red brick Church Hall with stone facings, and a high roof. This is fronted by a theatre entrance with a canopy, with three leaded lights over, cartouche ‘Deus per Omnia’, and ante-rooms either side with double leaded windows at ground level. Steps up to double mahogany doors lead to a spacious foyer and stairs to the balcony. The balcony front is panelled wood, probably maple. Downstairs the seats are now moveable to provide a floor space for alternative use. At the side of the auditorium at the stage end is the entrance to the bar, decorated with a curious mix of memorabilia of church events and posters from professional repertory days. The stage has a delightfully ornamental proscenium. Sunbursts at either corner are complemented by plaster urns, each with a lamp, on either side at stage level, and English roses at intervals form an interesting frame with a curtained crest at the centre. The safety curtain from 1935 bears the masks of Comedy and Tragedy and figures from classical drama. Flying is very limited, and cloths are rolled; get-in is through the main entrance. Four dressing rooms, the old band room, now a dressing room, and chorus room to the rear and above the bar area complete the surprise of a charming theatre in ecclesiastical surroundings.
- 1935 : Theatre, continuing
- Owner/Management: St Monica's, owners
- 1931 Design/Construction:Gallagher- Architect
- 1935 Use: Theatre, continuing
- 1972 Owner/Management: GM Productions Ltd, lessees
- 1986 Owner/Management: Rockstead Productions Ltd, lessees
- 1989 Alteration: stalls seating and orchestra pit removed; moveable seating installed downstairs (architect unknown).
- CapacityLaterDescription1972: 458
- ListingNot listed
Original (1934): 12-14