The Alexandra opened in 1871 as the Corn Exchange, with entertainment and lecture facilities. Later it was popular as a skating rink. The building is a long two-storey market hall in Devonian limestone (recently sand-blasted), with a dominating tower at the market end, marking the entrance. Later rendered additions either side of tower. Pre-1920, the interior was remodelled to accommodate stage and dressing rooms. It was used for films from 1920, when the windows were filled in. In the 1930s, the entrance was remodelled as a box-office/foyer. In the auditorium the balcony front has plaster garlands. The otherwise stark interior has been cleverly draped with soft furnishings and warmly lit. Run as a cinema for much of the year, the stage has been used regularly for pantomimes and shows.
In 1996, the balcony area was converted to a second cinema, leaving the stage facilities and proscenium untouched, but with a smaller seating capacity.
- 1920 : continuing
- Owner/Management: Newton Abbot Picture Houses Ltd, proprietors
- Owner/Management: Local Council, owners
- 1871 Design/Construction:John Chudleigh- Architect
- 1920 Alteration: fitted with stage and dressing roomsUnknown- Architect
- 1920 Use: continuing
- 1930 Alteration: interior remodelledUnknown- Architect
- 1970 Alteration: refurbished and reseatedUnknown- Architect
- 1996 Alteration: twinned, retaining stage useUnknown- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1930s: 542