Artillery Street Theatre
The site of the 1795 theatre is on the corner of London Street and Artillery Street just inside the city walls and close to the Protestant Cathedral.
The theatre (the first in Derry) was converted into a Presbyterian Church by 1841 with a plastered and pedimented façade to Artillery Street (which may have been the entrance side of the theatre) and is still standing.
In 1879 the church was made into the Synod Hall for the Church of Ireland with the hall on the first floor. Part of original theatre shell may still remain as part of the present structure but it is impossible to trace anything definite now.
- 1795 - 1838: Theatre (disused for the latter part of its life as a theatre)
- 1795 Design/Construction:Unknown- Architect
- 1795 - 1838 Use: Theatre (disused for the latter part of its life as a theatre)
- 1838 - 1841 Alteration: converted to churchUnknown- Architect
- 1879 Alteration: converted into Synod HallUnknown- Architect
- ListingBCommentas Synod Hall, 24 London Street - B2