Built 1819 for Charles Stanton’s company of comedians. A circuit theatre converted to a malthouse after 1852. Façade and right hand flank in red brick. Rubble stone left flank and squared coursed rubble to rear gable. Slate roof. Gable pediment facing street. Three storeys by three windows wide, the wide central bay slightly advanced; segmental arched openings to windows and central door. Interior has the appearance of a malthouse with an inserted first floor; open to roof with king post and queen strut trusses. Brick dividing wall with appearance of (but most unlikely to be) proscenium wall. Brick vaulting to part of ground storey.
Considered as theatre or malthouse, this is an impressive building deserving of a use which will secure its future. A detailed physical investigation may reveal more evidence of its theatrical form. If the opportunity for such an investigation arises it should not be missed.
- 1819 - 1850
- 1819 Design/Construction:Unknown- Architect
- 1819 Owner/Management: William Ormsby Gore, owner
- 1819 Owner/Management: George Stanton?, lessee and manager
- 1819 - 1850 Use:
- 1830 - 1839 Owner/Management: Charles Stanton
- 1852 Alteration: converted to malthouseUnknown- Architect