Skip to main content



The facade must have undergone radical alteration and appears to be a rebuild (or an addition) above first floor level, the top storey being brick-faced and only casually related to the painted stucco front below. This is in three bays defined by thin rusticated pilasters with Ionic caps, above which is a cornice band but no cornice. A tall central semi-circular arched opening with three widely spaced keyblocks seems, like all the other openings, to have had its original joinery much altered or replaced. Internally a barrel-vaulted ceiling with single curving balcony with no boxes. The balcony front still intact with cartouche and scrollwork. The small proscenium still retains its fibrous plasterwork, the arch gently curved with a central cartouche. The balcony tier is intact though damaged. This interior must have been quite pleasing and certainly would be if restored. The front of house is currently an auto parts shop.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1910 - 1967
Current state
Current use
Converted to other use (Shop)
12 South Street (Market Place), Crook, Durham, England
Further details
Other names
Empire Palace
  • 1910 Design/Construction:
    Henry Gibson & Pascal J Stienlet
    - Architect
  • 1910 Owner/Management: W S Shepherd, owner
  • 1910 - 1967 Use:
  • 1914 Owner/Management: North Counties Electric Theatres Ltd
  • 1934 Owner/Management: North East Coast Cinemas Ltd
  • 1949 - 1967 Owner/Management: Essoldo, owners
  • Capacity
    1912: 800
    1939: 900
    1956: 700
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Building dimensions: ext: 70ft x 45ft; auditorium: 52ft 6in x 43ft
Stage dimensions: 1912 d: 14ft w SL: 23ft
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: 1912: 20ft
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -