Brick Lane Music Hall

1633

The Brick Lane Music Hall company has emigrated at least twice since being founded in 1992 in Spitalfields, but has retained its original name. It has found its current home in the redundant St Mark's Church in Silvertown.

The church is a huge, almost overpowering, 'rogue gothic' edifice, stranded in an area whose population has dwindled to almost nothing with bombing and the closing of the Royal Docks and most local industries. A demanding building and demanding area in which to build an audience, it should be noted that this is, at present, the only dedicated music hall in the country.

Built / Converted
2004
Dates of use
  • 2004 : continuing
Current state
Extant
Current use
Theatre
Address
St Mark's Church, 443 North Woolwich Road, Silvertown, London, Newham, E16 2DA, England
Further details
Other names
-
Events
  • 1861 - 1862 Design/Construction: built as a church.
    S S Teulon
    - Architect
  • 2004 Use: continuing
  • 2004 Alteration: conversion to theatre use (architect unknown).
Capacities
-
Listings
  • Listing
    II
    Comment
    17.12.1971, 4.3.1985
Stage type
-
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -