Originally a public hall called the Lyceum, with eighteen rooms, a Mechanics’ Institute room, lecture rooms and a large hall, 90ft long by 48ft wide, fitted with a gallery etc to hold 1800, opened in August 1852. The large hall was converted to a theatre by Edward D Davis and opened in September 1854; gutted by fire in December 1855; rebuilt and reopened in September 1856 as the new Royal Lyceum Theatre and destroyed by fire August 1880.
Salvation Army Hall built on site.
- 1852 - 1880
- 1852 Design/Construction: as Lyceum Public HallJoseph Potts (Sunderland)- Architect
- 1852 - 1880 Use:
- 1854 Alteration: converted to theatreE D Davis- Architect
- 1854 - 1880 Owner/Management: Edward D Davis, owner
- 1856 Alteration: assistant architect and superintendent of works Joseph Potts, unspecified worksThomas Moore (Sunderland)- Architect
- 1856 Design/Construction:Messrs Johnson Saunders- Consultantdecoration ‘from the pen of James Lindsay’Mr Patterson- ConsultantMr Hope mouldingsMr T Watson- Consultantstage
- 1867 Owner/Management: Clarance Holt, lessee and manager
- 1868 - 1869 Owner/Management: T Sennett, lessee
- 1873 - 1875 Owner/Management: Alfred Davis, lessee and manager
- 1879 Owner/Management: Henry Hampton, lessee and manager
- 1880 Owner/Management: E D Davis, proprietor
- ListingNot listed