This was an unexecuted project for a site in Corporation Street, at the corner of Ryders Street, with Dalton Street at the rear. It included a theatre of approximately 2400 seats, shops with residential accommodation over and a market arcade. There may have been some similarity with the similarly mixed Leeds Empire development, which opened in 1898.
The theatre was to have pit, stalls, grand circle, upper circle, gallery and boxes. The boxes were to be situated at the rear of the circle and not at the sides as is usual. A small winter garden and saloon were to adjoin the foyer. A sliding roof was to be provided over the auditorium to clear the atmosphere ‘in a few seconds’.
It is not yet clear why the project did not proceed.
- 1898 Design/Construction: unexecuted designFrank Matcham- Architect
- ListingNot listed