Borough

1679

The Borough Theatre in Wallsend was demolished in March 2011. The following is the description of the building that appeared in 2000 in the book 'The Theatres Trust Guide to British Theatres 1750-1950':

Good auditorium, completely intact but at present with a suspended ceiling cutting off the upper balcony. The two balconies, of about eight rows each and slightly curved, come well forward toward the stage and end in a single semi-circular box on each side. The lower boxes have plaster canopies supported by slender Ionic columns. Between the boxes and the stage, on either side, are two levels of niches holding female figures, all contained within a giant enriched Ionic order standing on pedestals at stalls level. The lower balcony front is decorated with heavy, paired consoles forming panels filled with cartouches. Oval ceiling with central gas burner. Apart from alterations to the entrance the exterior is also intact but of little merit. The main front is slightly concave with brick walls and plain, painted stone pilasters with crudely detailed tops. Stage 9.14m (30ft) deep. The building is in good condition and could be restored to use relatively easily.

Built / Converted
1909
Dates of use
  • 1909 - 1960
Current state
Demolished
Current use
Demolished (cinema 1946-60; bingo; then amusement arcade and recording studio; closed 2005; demolished 2011)
Address
High Street East, Wallsend, Tyne & Wear, NE28, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
Gaumont , Borough Theatre & Hippodrome
Events
  • 1909 Design/Construction:
    J Fleming Davidson & C D James
    - Architect
  • 1909 Design/Construction:
    Wilkins & Son (Liverpool)
    - Consultant
    plasterwork and decoration
  • 1909 Owner/Management: Joseph Duffy, owner
  • 1909 - 1960 Use:
  • 1911 Alteration: operating box at rear of circle installed
    J F Davidson
    - Architect
  • 1911 Owner/Management: Hugh Duffy, owner; Black Bros, proprietor
  • 1919 Alteration: operating box altered
    Dixon & Stienlet
    - Architect
  • 1928 - 1960 Owner/Management: Denman Picture Houses/Gaumont/ CMA/Rank, lessees, owners from 1939
  • 1934 - 1938 Owner/Management: George Bernard, owner
  • 1935 Alteration: operating box altered
    James L Ross
    - Architect
  • 1949 Alteration: theatre renovated and altered
    Percy L Browne & Harding
    - Architect
  • 2011 Demolition:
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Original
    Description
    1336
  • Capacity
    Later
    Description
    1939: 1157
    1956: 1619
  • Capacity
    Current
    Description
    est. 1100
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Proscenium raked
Building dimensions: Frontage 105ft 5in
Stage dimensions: Depth: 30ft
Proscenium width: 30ft
Height to grid: 56ft
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -