Skip to main content



Built in red brick with a tiled, hipped roof with eaves along Theatre Lane. To the two-storey entrance facade on South Street, however, there is a parapet incorporating a pediment over the slightly advanced central three bays. At first floor level the advanced section contains two tall windows either side of a central, smaller blind opening. A similar blind window is in each of the flanking bays. The ground floor is marred by a modern, full-width shop front.

Replacing an earlier theatre on the same corner site, the present building formed part of a circuit which included Southampton, Winchester, Portsmouth and Newport (IOW). It survived until 1850 when it was sold at auction to become variously a brewhouse, gymnasium, library, furnishers, a box office for the Chichester Festival Theatre and latterly shops. Although nothing of the theatre remains internally the shell and roof are original making it a rare and important example of a small, late eighteenth century theatre.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1791 - 1850
Current state
Current use
Converted to other use (Shops)
43 South Street/Theatre Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, England
Further details
Other names
  • Owner/Management: It was also leased to Thomas Trotter
  • 1791 Design/Construction:
    Thomas Andrews (of St Pancras)
    - Architect
  • 1791 - 1827 Owner/Management: Thomas Collins & James Davies
  • 1791 - 1850 Use:
  • 1827 Owner/Management: Kelly & Maxfield
  • 1835 - 1837 Owner/Management: Davenport
  • 1840 Owner/Management: Pool
  • 1846 - 1847 Owner/Management: Holmes
  • 1850 Alteration: converted to brewhouse
    - Architect
  • Listing
Stage type
Building dimensions: Plot: 34ft X 107ft 4in. Ext: 32ft X 102ft
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -