The Methodist New Connexion Society built a Sunday School in Lord Street in 1822. This was replaced by a larger building in 1869. After a long series of varied later uses the Macclesfield Amateur Dramatic Society (MADS) took over and opened as a theatre in 1954. They purchased the building from the Lord Street Trustees in 1966 and, in anticipation of completion, carried out refurbishment works, reopening in 1965 as the Little Theatre.
Problems over means of escape led to a period of uncertainty, but further works of improvement and enlargement were carried out at intervals from the official re-opening in 1984 until 1999. MADS claim that the Little Theatre is now the only permanent theatre building in Macclesfield.
Brick building with stone dressings in two storeys; three major bays, the outer bays advanced. Modillion eaves cornice. The inscription over the main door still bears the date of the first building on the site, viz 1822.
- 1954 : continuing
- 1822 Design/Construction: as Methodist New Connection Society Sunday SchoolUnknown- Architect
- 1869 Alteration: new, larger building on same siteUnknown- Architect
- 1954 Owner/Management: MADS, lessees
- 1954 Use: continuing
- 1959 Alteration: and works of refurbishment and conversion to theatreUnknown- Architect
- 1966 Owner/Management: Lord Street (Sunday School) Trustees
- 1966 Owner/Management: MADS, owners