In 1774 Robert Adam proposed new elevations for the old Market Cross (like most of its kind, it also served as the Town Hall) which had been in use as a theatre since 1734 by the Duke of Grafton’s Comedians (The Norwich Company) and the Grammar School. In 1819 William Wilkins the Younger converted the first floor into a public concert room and transferred all the fittings to his new theatre in Westgate Street (see Theatre Royal).
No trace of theatrical activity or evidence as to the layout of this small playhouse remains. The public room has been restored as an art gallery. Fine exterior with piano nobile, complete with Venetian arches under pediments on all four sides flanked with niches and windows, over a heavily rusticated ground floor. It is in excellent condition and conforms to the original drawing by Adam of an end elevation which is still in the possession of the Corporation.
- 1734 - 1819
- 1734 Design/Construction:Unknown- Architect
- 1734 - 1819 Use:
- 1774 Alteration: exterior redesignedRobert Adam- Architect
- 1819 Alteration: upper floor converted to concert roomWilliam Wilkins the Younger- Architect