War interrupted completion of W.R.Glen's building, and it finally opened in 1956, with Glen's plans adapted by W.R. Farrow. The design included a deep stage and dressing rooms and it was used for live shows until the 1960s when it was employed mainly for one-night concerts (of national calibre). Against much opposition, the building was tripled, ending live use.
The exterior was plain, post-war design with the name REGAL in neon, and has recently been well-restored. The auditorium was of simple lines with a lozenge pattern on the ante-proscenium splay walls. Foyer space was large with sculptured ceilings and lighting, and wall treatments.
In 1996, Wetherspoons removed the stage and fly tower and gutted the interior, removing the balcony, for the present pub design, based loosely on the style of the former interior.
- 1956 - 1974: (occasional)
Predominantly cinema use to 1990)
- 1956 Design/Construction: after 1939 plans by W R GlenW R Farrow- Architect
- 1956 Owner/Management: (and site prior to War) ABC (later EMI, Cannon, etc)
- 1956 - 1974 Use: (occasional)
- 1974 Alteration: tripled(ABC House architect)- Architect
- 1996 Alteration: converted to pubUnknown- Architect
- 1996 Owner/Management: Wetherspoons
- ListingNot listed