Substantial remains of this once magnificent ciné-variety lie largely concealed from view. The bingo hall in the stalls area (used to seat 1676) leaves nothing remotely recognizable from the theatre but under the stage are dressing and band rooms and the entrance (now blocked) to the orchestra pit. In the cinemas (Screens 1 & 2 in former circle, Screen 3 in restaurant) the restaurant ceiling has survived but is painted black. In each of Screens 1 & 2 are three enormous Corinthian fluted columns with Acanthus leaf moulded capitals supporting a richly embellished architrave. Ceilings hidden. But the real surprise is forward of the extended circle where (torch required) access is possible to one of the two vast boxes. Since access is so difficult they were probably ornamental rather than functional. Two more Corinthian columns visible either side, together with about one third of a huge saucer dome set in a plainish ceiling. More columns frame the wide stage. This theatre is smaller but very similar in appearance to Green’s Playhouse Dundee (dem) with the same owner and architect/designer.
- 1938 - 1976
- 1938 Design/Construction:John Fairweather & Son- Architect
- 1938 Owner/Management: George Green (Glasgow)
- 1938 - 1976 Use:
- CapacityOriginalDescription2560 (1676 & 884)
- ListingNot listed