Skip to main content

Saint Francis' College Theatre


The theatre lies north of the main school block, and forms a complex with a gymnasium etc. From the school, an arcaded walk with iron gates leads to the entrance. Separate gates from the road also give access to the same entrance, through a private courtyard and under an ornamental arch. Another courtyard beyond gives access to the OP rear stage get-in. The outside of the building is rendered.

The auditorium is raked and originally seated 600. It is single-tier, with the exception of a convex-fronted box to seat possibly six or eight at first-floor level. Above this is a gallery for spots etc. The ceiling is very high, plain-banded barrel vault. A series of round-headed mullioned windows are set high on the walls each side, and are covered on the outside by wooden shutters to obscure the light. The only ornaments are three corbels each side, which carry coved lighting, each bearing the face of a muse. The proscenium arch is square and plain.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1924 : continuing
Current state
Current use
Theatre (School theatre since 1980)
St Francis’ College, Letchworth, Hertfordshire, England
Further details
Other names
Saint Christopher Theatre
  • 1924 Use: continuing
  • 1924 Design/Construction: theatre
    Percy Morley Horder
    - Architect
  • 1924 Owner/Management: Theosophical Trust, owners (possibly still owners?)
  • 1934 Owner/Management: F Cooper Taylor, lessee
  • 1940 - 1942 Owner/Management: Forbes Russell, director and lessee
  • 1944 Owner/Management: D T Rose, lessee
  • 1998 Owner/Management: St Francis’ College, owners or lessee
  • Capacity
  • Capacity
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Proscenium Flat
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: None