A sad sight. One would need to be a determined optimist to believe that the Alhambra could be returned to theatre use, but it has been a remarkable building and enough remains to sharpen one’s regrets about what has happened to it.
It is a large, free-standing stone building on the sea front, originally with elaborate Dutch gable and a loggia at second floor level. The music hall, which was on the first floor, over shops, was a single-balconied rectangular room with an arched ceiling spanning from side to side, rather like a smaller version of the Winter Gardens (Victoria Pavilion). Pavilion-like boxes were set closely on either side of the proscenium at balcony level. The proscenium had a splendid cartouche over, with winged full-relief figures as supporters. The ceiling was divided into lively painted panels (one with a sunburner) by arching enriched beams and there was a magnificently painted act drop.
In 1970 a fire gutted the interior and destroyed the roof. The reconstruction as a disco omitted the fanciful gable, depriving the exterior of much of its character. The fly tower is still present but the stage was bricked off.
- 1910 - 1970
- 1901 Design/Construction:H Howarth- Architect
- 1910 - 1970 Use:
- 1930 Alteration: converted to cinemaUnknown- Architect
- ListingNot listed