The Churchill was built as part of a redevelopment which included a public library, gallery and shops on part of which site the New Theatre stood until gutted by fire and demolished in 1971.
The theatre is well situated off a pedestrianised precinct with adjacent car parking facilities. The library tends to dominate the façade and much of the auditorium actually lies beneath the library and below ground. Entered from good foyers, the auditorium has continental style seating with side gangways only and both stalls and circle have good sightlines. Interestingly the circle bar lies above the auditorium ceiling.
There is a well-equipped stage, 46 single purchase counterweight lines, an understage set lift, orchestra pit for 18 musicians and good workshop and wing space. There are also two rolling stages with revolves. Good facilities for a producing house, especially when supported by rehearsal space, wardrobe facilities and office accommodation.
This is an interesting theatre with many fine characteristics and it is a pity that from the street it is almost buried within the library complex.
- 1977 : Theatre, continuing
- 1889 Design/Construction: previous theatre on part of current site (architect unknown).
- 1977 Use: Theatre, continuing
- 1977 Design/Construction: current theatre built as part of a larger development.Ken Wilson (Deputy Borough Architect)- ArchitectCharles Weiss Partners- Consultantstructural engineersBC Dept of Architecture- ConsultantM & E EngineersFletcher Millet Partners- Consultantquantity surveyorsHugh Creighton- Consultantacoustics
- 1977 Owner/Management: London Borough of Bromley, owners; Churchill Theatre Trust Ltd, lessees; Theatre of Comedy, management.
- 2000 Owner/Management: Ambassador Theatre Group, Management
- 2016 Owner/Management: HQ Theatres, management
- ListingNot listed