Skip to main content

Alhambra

2248

Opened as a music hall, but was soon operating as a picture palace. The theatre entrance was through a central pavilion originally surmounted by a square dome. Flanking shops with straight gables and mullioned windows.

It is difficult without further detailed examination with adequate lighting to describe what remains of the interior of this building in useful detail.

The stalls appear to have been at first floor level with the stage at the façade end, above the shops in Ashton Road and abutting the present Al-hambra restaurant, which is also said to have theatre remains, presumably of the former dressing rooms and fly tower. The auditorium, which is fan shaped, had a balcony (the plaster ornamented front of which survives) of fourteen rows with a box at each side, sharply angled away from the proscenium. In the ceiling there are what appear to be the remains of a late gas sunburner.

The auditorium was finally used as a club, when all the surfaces were painted out in black. It is now used as a store for timber doors and, below, as a glass works.

Built / Converted
1908
Dates of use
  • 1908 - 1914
Current state
Façade only
Current use
Converted to other use (Restaurant) <br>
(used until 1950s or 60s as a cinema)
Address
Old Ashton Road, Upper Openshaw, Manchester, Greater Manchester, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
-
Events
  • 1908 Design/Construction:
    H A Turner
    - Architect
  • 1908 Owner/Management: Until when not known. H D Morehouse Circuit, owners
  • 1908 - 1914 Use:
Capacities
-
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
-
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -