Constructed behind Alexandra Mansions, using former shops as an entrance, the Regent was built as a ciné-variety but, curiously, the projection rooms seem to have been added as an afterthought in a space originally intended for circulation.
It had a raked stage and fly tower. The auditorium had a plaster barrel-vaulted ceiling and box fronts on either side of an elliptically arched proscenium. Live shows ceased in 1927. It was tripled as an ABC in the 1960s, but it is likely that the original interior has been concealed rather than destroyed.
- 1923 - 1927
- 1923 Design/Construction:G Duncan Fitt with J Owen Bond- Architect
- 1923 Owner/Management: F H Cooper
- 1923 - 1927 Use:
- 1939 Alteration: alterationsUnknown- Architect
- 1973 Alteration: tripledUnknown- Architect
- ListingNot listed