Only the imposing landmark ashlar façade of the theatre survives, the interior having been rebuilt as a cinema in the 1930s in streamline mode. Cleverly occupying a fan-shaped site, the principal external feature is the curved corner entrance with giant attached Ionic columns above the first floor and a dome with four ocular windows around its base rising from the parapet above. To the right five bays with giant pilasters are flanked by two bay rusticated ends. The building lies marooned in a twilight neighbourhood and was neglected after it failed as a bingo hall. Reopened as a furniture warehouse with the cinema interior intact.
Permission granted for conversion to flats behind a partially retained façade, although works not carried out. A serious fire occurred in November 2004.
- 1911 - 1924
- 1911 Design/Construction:George Arthur with Frank Matcham & Co- Architect
- 1911 Owner/Management: Glasgow Olympia Theatre Ltd
- 1911 - 1924 Use:
- 1912 Owner/Management: DeFrece & Edelsten Ltd
- 1924 Owner/Management: Scottish Cinema & Variety Theatres
- 1929 Owner/Management: ABC
- 1936 Alteration: converted to cinemaCharles J McNair- Architect
- 1985 Owner/Management: County Properties & Developments Ltd
- CapacityLaterDescription1951: 1689
- ListingBCommentfaçade only