A fine theatre with a well-deserved national reputation for the quality of its work over many years. Located in Gorbals, a once densely populated inner city area which has suffered drastic redevelopment, the Citizen’s formerly had a magnificent façade (by James Sellars) with a giant order of Tuscan columns. This was unfortunately destroyed in 1977 together with the adjacent Palace theatre. In 1989, the present undistinguished yellow brick frontage was added. The theatre is entered beneath a fully-glazed pediment, especially effective when illuminated at night. Within, it is spacious and decorated with statuary and terms rescued from the Palace.
The fine auditorium retains its dark allure. Two lyre-shaped balconies with fine plasterwork are supported by slender columns with large capitals. Superimposed stage boxes are surmounted by caryatids. The proscenium opening is framed by the inner pilasters of the boxes. The ceiling is flat and plain with deep panelled coves round the perimeter. In 1989 an adjacent studio theatre was added as part of a major renovation and the existing Victorian auditorium was renovated with modern Pullman seats.
There is still a remarkably well-preserved set of Victorian wood machinery below the stage, the best survival of its kind in Scotland.
- 1878 : continuing
- 1878 Use: continuing
- 1878 Design/Construction:Campbell Douglas with James Sellars- Architect
- 1878 Owner/Management: James McFayden
- 1879 Owner/Management: Harcourt Beryl
- 1886 Owner/Management: Rich Waldon
- 1923 Owner/Management: Harry McKelvie
- 1945 Owner/Management: Citizen’s Theatre Co, lessee
- 1955 Owner/Management: Glasgow Corporation, later City of Glasgow District Council, later Glasgow City Council
- 1989 Alteration: new façade and foyerBDB Architects- Architect