Granada, East Ham
The Granada East Ham replaced the East Ham Empire, a variety house built by Bernstein in 1914. The new theatre, on an enlarged site, was designed by William Edward Trent and was operated by Bernstein Theatres Ltd until fully acquired by Granada in 1965. The interior, by Komisarjevsky, is unmistakably his, although the opulence of Tooting, Woolwich and Clapham was not allowed for financially.
The rendered façade had a slender tower, now shortened, which originally carried a fin sign and was lit with neon. The wide entrance under the tower had three shop units to the side, and behind the main elevations of the auditorium were brick.
The outer foyer, with pay box led to a main foyer, which was dominated by a first floor promenade, decorated with ironwork and ornamental plasterwork and hung with mirrors. The main auditorium, in Renaissance style had a coffered ceiling over the stalls area. The ceiling over the balcony was more plain, featuring a rosette for a chandelier. The proscenium was framed with two Ionic pilasters and three framed ornamental grilles, probably for the Wurlizter organ chambers at either side. There was a large stage and dressing room accommodation. Variety shows were a feature for many years.
The interior is largely unaltered today, except for minor modifications for bingo, although the Wurlitzer was removed in 1975.
- 1936 - 1960
- 1970 - 1979
- 1991 - 2014: Bingo
- 1936 Design/Construction:W E Trent- ArchitectTheodore Komisarjevsky- Consultantinterior design
- 1936 Owner/Management: Bernstein Theatres Ltd
- 1936 - 1960 Use:
- 1965 Owner/Management: Granada
- 1970 - 1979 Use:
- 1991 - 2014 Use: Bingo
- 1996 - 2014 Owner/Management: Gala
- ListingNot listedCommentShould be considered