A red brick building, massive in appearance, with slightly advanced black glass frontage and red-painted ironwork in the style of a Royal Mail sorting office. An attempt to relieve the bulk has been made by some horizontal banding in the brickwork but this is now more successfully softened by green creeper and young trees.
The large entrance which houses a box office and pleasant bar was improved in 1989; there is a restaurant on the floor above. Entrance to all levels of the auditorium is from the foyer. The auditorium is dominated by the two sweeping balconies which have permanent seating. The stalls area is flexible with retractable seating and an adaptable forestage or orchestra pit. There is a feeling of spaciousness and sightlines are good.
A well-equipped stage with 44 single purchase counterweight sets, includes provision for an orchestra pit capable of accommodating 50 musicians.
The friendly environment in which the theatre was built is enhanced by good car parking provision and a close proximity to the station.
- 1982 : Theatre, continuing
- 1982 Design/Construction:Building Design Partnership- Architect
- 1982 Design/Construction:John Wickham Associates- Consultanttheatre and acoustics
- 1982 Owner/Management: Dartford Borough Council, owner, continuing
- 1982 Use: Theatre, continuing
- 2009 Alteration: Front of house areas refurbished
- 2009 Owner/Management: HQ Theatres, management, continuing
- ListingNot listed