Holland Park Theatre
Open air theatre in the grounds of the beautiful and historic Holland Park House, which was badly damaged by incendiary bombs in 1941, and of which only the east wing remains. Set with the house as a backdrop, the theatre opened in 1964 as the Court Theatre. The gateway, with piers surmounted by griffins, was designed by Inigo Jones and executed by Nicholas Stone in 1629. Today a tensile all-weather canopy covers the removable steel-deck stage and audience area. Removable seating is tiered and a forestage may be provided at a lower level to accommodate an orchestra pit for 45 players for opera.
- 1964 : continuing
- Owner/Management: Local Authority
- 1607 Design/Construction: Holland Park HouseJohn Thorpe- Architect
- 1964 Use: continuing
- ListingICommentListed with house