Hippodrome
The first building on this site was the Adelphi Music Hall, opened in 1868 and designed by a local barber who had premises on Manchester Street. It comprised of stalls, circle and private boxes. In the mid 1870s a wall collapsed, which was found to be caused by a road excavation. The Adelphi Music Hall and Entertainment Company floated 4000 shares at £1 to rebuild and enlarge the venue. The remnants of the structure were demolished in March 1875.
The ‘New Adelphi’ opened in August 1875 as a variety building of some grandeur: private boxes, centre boxes, pit, side balcony and upper balcony. In 1880 it had a short-lived run as a drama theatre, but it reverted to variety. It ran with popularity under a succession of owners, as its many names reflect, until 1919. It was then converted to the Victory Cinema.
The rendered façade, altered at ground floor level, stands intact in Union Street. The foyer now houses an amusement arcade; the cinema is not used as a public area.
- 1868 - 1919
Further details
- 1868 Design/Construction: as Adelphi Music HallAshton- Architect
- 1868 Design/Construction:Joseph Travis- Consultantscenery
- 1868 Owner/Management: Oldham Philharmonic Society
- 1868 - 1919 Use:
- 1870 - 1879 Owner/Management: Adelphi Music Hall & Entertainment Co Ltd, owners
- 1875 Alteration: rebuilt after partial collapseT Crossley- Architect
- 1875 Design/Construction:W Hey- Consultantmechanical effects and stage fittingsM Chadwick- Consultantgas arrangementsT H Heath- Consultantscene drop ‘View of Venice’
- 1878 Owner/Management: Messrs Marcus & Webber, lessees
- 1880 Alteration: new proscenium installedR Owen- Architect
- 1880 Design/Construction:Lionel Hawkes- Consultantact drop
- 1881 Owner/Management: E Priestly, lessee
- 1884 Owner/Management: Henry Pemberton, lessee
- 1889 Owner/Management: Messrs Ball & Heywood, lessees
- 1899 Owner/Management: Oldham Theatres Ltd, lessees
- 1911 Owner/Management: Oldham Theatre of Varieties Co
- 1920 Alteration: converted to cinemaRoberts & Taylor- Architect
- 1970 Alteration: converted to bingoUnknown- Architect
- 1978 Owner/Management: Slotworld
- 1978 Alteration: foyer converted to amusement arcadeUnknown- Architect
- 2006 Demolition:
- ListingNot listed