Skip to main content

Riverside Studios


In 1933, the Triumph Film Company moved into what is now Riverside Studios on the Thames just south of Hammersmith Bridge. The two-storey rectangular brick building was formerly a late-Victorian foundry with a tower chimney. In 1954, the studios were acquired by the BBC for its television service. The facility was in continuous use until 1975 when the BBC moved out and a charitable trust formed by Hammersmith and Fulham Council took control of the building. Architect Michael Reardon shaped large multi-purpose spaces from the two main sound stages. These were used for live theatre, music, dance and film. A functional foyer area with exposed industrial-style trunking and pipework was created as an always-open meeting point. A cinema opened in 1987. In 1994 the complex was refurbished and modernised by Burrel Foley Fisher to form the 500-seat Studio One, the 400-seat Studio Two and a 156-seat Studio Three. All were receiving studios, and available for hire for film, TV, performance, rehearsal and general use. Riverside Studios closed in 2014 and the building demolished. A new Riverside Studios complex is being developed and completed by autumn 2017. It will have much improved facilities including three studios, a 200 seat cinema and a screening room, a community and rehearsal area with a greatly enhanced local events space.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1975 : continuing
Current state
Current use
Dark (Being redeveloped)
Crisp Road, London, Hammersmith & Fulham, W6 9RL, England
Further details
Other names
  • 1900 Design/Construction: as foundry (architect unknown).
  • 1933 - 1954 Owner/Management: Triumph Film Company studios (architect unknown).
  • 1954 - 1975 Owner/Management: BBC television studios
  • 1975 Use: continuing
  • 1975 Design/Construction: converted to arts centre
  • 1975 Owner/Management: London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham, owner
  • 1975 Owner/Management: Riverside Trust, lessee
  • 1994 Alteration: refurbishment and enlargement of studios; new box-office/reception.
    Burrell Foley Fischer
    - Architect
  • 2015 Alteration: Redevelopment
    Flanagan Lawrence
    - Architect
  • Capacity
    1973: Studio One 400
    Studio Two 250
    Studio Three 200
  • Capacity
    S1 500; S2 400; S3 156
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -