Skip to main content

Broadway Theatre

3071

Roland Satchwell’s plans were approved for the Odeon in 1935. Plans were later revised by Harry Weedon’s office which took credit for the completed design. The original, wide faience-facade was of three bays, three centre with four engaged columns framing the entrance which was approached by steps. Rounded canopy above carrying two vertical fin decorations to attic level with a small decorative entablature between. The letters ODEON appeared, unusually, above the canopy. At first floor level, windows with mouldings. The entrance foyer ceiling had circular decorations and stairs at either side led to balcony level. The auditorium walls and ceiling had bold, undulating curves and an ante-proscenium of horizontal banding, all lit by architectural lighting, and by pendant lights from the ceiling. The Odeon was altered in 1960; the faience was removed and the external walls rendered and all exterior decoration removed. The circle lounge was subdivided and partly utilised for offices. In 1973 two screens were inserted in the rear stalls area, the main screen comprising the stage, proscenium and balcony. The Odeon closed in 1991 when a new multiplex opened. It was then acquired by millionaire Peter Boizot, together with an adjoining site, and reopened in 1996 as part of Cinema 100. Under the architectural management of Tim Foster Architects, the Odeon was redeveloped and reopened in 2001 as the Broadway Theatre, one of the largest venues in the region offering national touring plays, music, comedy and films. The rear wall was pushed back to improve the stage facilities, and an apron stage with square central lift added to the stage. The remarkable cantilevered glass extension to the front of the building resulted in a central fully glazed bay above the entrance, through which columns could be seen extending to the circle foyer ceiling. The exterior was reclad in white glass mosaic with blue trimmings. The entrance foyer was enlarged by taking in part of the rear stalls. A new house carpet and tabs were designed, inspired by the original foyer floor, and the theatre was reseated and new lighting introduced. The building changed hands in 2004 and closed after a major fire in 2009. Briefly reopened and operated by StageLive in 2011, the theatre remains closed despite concerts of choral music and two highly successful 2013 and 2015 winter seasons. An application for planning permission for redevelopment for residential use is being prepared for submission in 2016. However, in July 2017 the theatre's lease was taken over by Mark Ringer and Peter Dawe, who relaunched the theatre as a live performance venue (predominantly concerts and comedy) from September.

Built / Converted
1937
Dates of use
Current state
Extant
Current use
Music venue (Concerts, film, comedy)
Address
Broadway, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 1RT, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
Odeon
Events
  • 1935 Design/Construction:
    Harry Weedon
    - Architect
  • 1937 - 1991 Owner/Management: Odeon
  • 1960 Alteration: exterior altered
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1973 Alteration: tripled
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1996 Owner/Management: Peter Boizot
  • 2001 Alteration: detripled, modernised and reorganised
    Tim Foster
    - Architect
  • 2004 Owner/Management: Prima Investments, owner
  • 2011 - 2011 Owner/Management: StageLive (Peterborough) Ltd, lessee
  • 2017 Owner/Management: Mark Ringer and Peter Dawe, lessees, continuing
Capacities
-
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
(now) proscenium with apron
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -