The former church sits on a spacious plot on the Cheam Road and corner of Gibson Road, once part of an estate. The building dates from 1937; of red brick, it commands a presence in the landscape. It was converted to theatre in 1984 and named the Secombe Theatre after Cheam Road's famous resident, Harry Secombe. The theatre is run as a multi-purpose entertainment venue, also hosting community and conference events. The auditorium can accommodate 396 patrons or 343 if the orchestra pit is in use. The stage is a flat floor proscenium arch. There are dressing rooms and wardrobe backstage. At some time a roomy glass extension to one side has allowed a bar/refreshment area, which is open to the public; there is also a function room. It is regarded as the flagship for community activities and business events. In August 2014, Sutton Council announced plans to close the Secombe Theatre and Charles Cryer Studio Theatre due to council budget cuts. Following a public consultation, the council invited bids to run the theatres. In January 2015 it was announced that Sutton Theatres Trust would take over the management of both venues on a ten year lease. This officially occurred in June 2015. However, in August 2016 Sutton Theatres Trust went into administration. The venue is currently dark and the administrator is looking for a buyer.
- 1984 - 2016: Theatre
- Owner/Management: previously: Local Authority - London Borough of Sutton
- 1937 Design/Construction: Christian Science ChurchUnknown- Architect
- 1984 Alteration: Conversion to theatreUnknown- Architect
- 1984 - 2016 Use: Theatre
- 2015 - 2016 Owner/Management: Sutton Theatres Trust (now in administration)
- ListingNot listed