A small, independently-run arts venue, The Acorn is a 1969 conversion of a nineteenth century Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
Between 1996 and 1998 essential refurbishments and a redesign of the internal layout took place. The Acorn reopened as a flexible venue with a 170-seat main theatre accommodating a variety of stage formats and a smaller basement bar/theatre with an 80 seat capacity.
The building is not listed but lies within a conservation area.
- 1969 - 1996: theatre/arts centre
- 1998 : theatre, continuing
- Design/Construction: C19 as chapel (architect unknown)
- 1969 Design/Construction: converted to arts centre (architect unknown)
- 1969 - 1987 Owner/Management: Penzance Arts Centre
- 1969 - 1996 Use: theatre/arts centre
- 1987 Owner/Management: Cornwall Theatre Company Ltd, continuing
- 1996 - 1998 Alteration: Lottery-funded refurbishment and re-design
- 1998 Use: theatre, continuing
- CapacityCurrentDescription170CommentMain theatre in 2017
- CapacityCurrentDescription80CommentBasement theatre/bar in 2017
- ListingNot listed