The theatre was created in 1910 in the derelict banking hall of Messrs Coutts, part of the original Adam Brothers Adelphi development between the Strand and the River Thames.
The auditorium was a rectangular room with a raked floor (c.1:14) and a flat ceiling divided by beams with a small laylight (later much enlarged) in the centre. It had restrained Adamish plaster decorations with a rectangular proscenium opening about twice as wide as it was high. There were seven boxes at the rear of the stalls and, as originally built, no balcony. There were dressing rooms under the stage. Salvaged Angelica Kauffman paintings formed part of the foyer decorations.
In 1912 the rear boxes were removed and a balcony constructed with four new boxes below.
The theatre was twice bombed, once in 1917, being reconstructed on its original lines in 1920, and again in 1941. It was demolished in 1949.
- 1920 - 1941
- 1768 Design/Construction: bankers’ offices and dwellingAdam Brothers- Architect
- 1910 Alteration: banking hall converted to theatreHayward & Maynard- Architect
- 1910 Owner/Management: George Drummond, owner; Gertrude Kingston, lessee
- 1912 Alteration: auditorium enlarged and balcony insertedHayward & Maynard- Architect
- 1920 Alteration: reopened after bomb damage (1917)Hayward & Maynard- Architect
- 1920 Design/Construction:Marc Henri- Consultantact drop painting
- 1920 Owner/Management: Vedrenne & Vernon, lessees
- 1920 - 1941 Use:
- 1922 Owner/Management: Jose Levy, lessee
- 1937 Owner/Management: Herbert Farjeon
- CapacityLaterDescription1912: 88 seats added
- ListingNot listed