Skip to main content

West End Centre


The two adjoining schools were built in 1873 with an Infants School, which still operates, in the same street. In 1952 the Boys School closed and the pupils relocated; it is assumed that the Girls School expanded as it remained open until 1973. The building was unused for a time, and was first used as an Arts Centre in 1975. The schools are typically Victorian in design, red brick and single-story with pitched slate roofs. Entrance in in the centre under a new glass canopy. The large entrance foyer gives entry to all the rooms and houses a box office and a large bar with seating area which can be used for functions and events. Facilities include a dance studio, an art gallery, a meeting room/workshop with kiln and a studio for live music and theatre. The studio is painted black with a flat floor and performance area. The theatre capacity is 30 people seated at tables, cabaret style seating for 106 people, raked seating for 140 people or 200 people standing. There is a lighting control box at rear. The rear stage wall has a roller shutter through which entrance is made to the stage, and there are two dressing rooms. The Centre has a diverse programme of events for all ages and the studio is used by amateurs and professionl companies.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1975 : Arts Centre, continuing
Current state
Current use
Arts Centre
Queens Road, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 3JD, England
Further details
Other names
West End Boys School and West End Girls School
  • 1873 Design/Construction: as schools
    - Architect
  • 1974 Owner/Management: Rushmoor Borough Council
  • 1975 Use: Arts Centre, continuing
  • Capacity
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -