Maida Vale Picture House
The Palace, better known by its later name of Maida Vale Picture House, has a detailed and imposing façade. The centre bay, with recessed entrance approached by steps, has architraval windows surmounted by a full entablature and a small segmental pediment. On either side are castellated towers, each with elaborate drum belvedere with cupola. The marble-floored foyer led to stalls area with staircases at either side to circle foyer and circle. Fine auditorium featuring gilded plasterwork with rear balcony and dome.
Many of the friezes were covered by colourful Islamic friezes after conversion to a religious centre; nevertheless, the building is largely original and has added importance as one of the earliest surviving works of Edward Stone.
- 1913 Design/Construction:Edward A Stone- Architect
- 1913 Owner/Management: Wilmot, Williams & Co
- 1921 Owner/Management: Scala (Maida Vale) Ltd
- 1927 Owner/Management: Associated Provincial Picture Theatres
- 1929 Owner/Management: Gaumont British
- 1949 Alteration: converted to dance hall (architect unknown).
- 1961 Owner/Management: Mecca
- 1961 Alteration: converted for bingo (architect unknown).
- 1992 Owner/Management: Islamic Centre
- 1992 Alteration: refurbished and restored with minor modifications for Islamic centre (architect unknown).
- CapacityOriginalDescription1913: 1600