Skip to main content

Pier Pavilion

360

The Victoria Pier was developed by Victoria Pier Company from 1899 and was designed by Mangnall & Littlewood. The original pier pavilion, in the Moorish style, and dating from 1900, was destroyed by fire in 1923. It was rebuilt in a less decorative style and again rebuilt after another fire in 1933. In both cases the surviving entrance kiosks were incorporated, but these were demolished when the Golden Goose Amusement Arcade was built in the 1970s. The 1934 Pavilion’s 700 seat auditorium was equipped with a stage suitable for concerts and theatre and there was a sprung floor for dancing. The design of the auditorium was by Mary Adshead, daughter of the architect, in the style of a marquee. Murals by Eric Ravilious survive from this time. In 2004 the Dixieland Showbar fit out was stripped out revealing most of the original decorative features and the original layout. In 2017, following a portion of the seaward end of the pier collapsing into the sea, planning permission was granted for the pier to be dismantled. This work will take place in late January 2018.

Built / Converted
1900
Dates of use
  • 1900 - 1958: Theatre
  • 1968 - 2003: Entertainment Venue (Showbar)
Current state
Extant
Current use
Disused (pier due to be dismantled January 2018)
Address
Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, LL29 8ED, Wales
Website-
Further details
Other names
Dixieland Showbar
Events
  • Owner/Management: n.d.: Entam Ltd (Trusthouse Forte)
  • 1900 Owner/Management: Mr Yates Gregory, manager
  • 1900 Design/Construction:
    Mangnall & Littlewood
    - Architect
  • 1900 Owner/Management: Victoria Pier Company (?), owners
  • 1900 - 1958 Use: Theatre
  • 1903 Alteration: pier extended to allow outdoor performances
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1917 Alteration: Bijou Theatre added at end of pier
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1922 Owner/Management: Colwyn Bay District Council, owners
  • 1923 Alteration: pavilion rebuilt after fire
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1933 Alteration: pavilion again rebuilt after fire (Bijou Theatre not replaced)
    S D Adshead
    - Architect
  • 1968 Owner/Management: First Leisure Company, owners
  • 1968 Alteration: pavilion converted to Showbar (entrance gates and tolbooths replaced by Golden Goose Arcade)
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1968 - 2003 Use: Entertainment Venue (Showbar)
  • 1979 - 1987 Owner/Management: Parker Leisure Holdings, owners
  • 1994 - 1995 Owner/Management: Michael & Ann Paxman, owners
  • 2003 Owner/Management: Steve Hunt (ownership disputed)
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Original
    Description
    2500
  • Capacity
    Later
    Description
    1946: 632
    1962: 636
Listings
  • Listing
    II
    Comment
    15.8.1975; 25.7.1994 only as part of the listed pier
Stage type
Slight rake
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: Depth: c.30ft
Proscenium width: 25ft
Height to grid: c.13ft
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: none