Built as a church in 1859, The Space opened as an arts venue in 1996. The building is in a North Italian Romanesque style with polychromatic brick work and a later plain extension. It is noted for its early use of laminated timber inside. Staging is flexible with end-on, in the round, traverse and thrust as options.
- 1996 : Arts venue
- 1859 Design/Construction: as St. Paul's ChurchT E Knightley- ArchitectJ & F J Woods- Builder
- 1867 Alteration: Gallery added at west end of church.
- 1906 Alteration: Two storey addition at rear for vestry, classrooms and kitchenT Phillips Figgis- ArchitectHarris and Wardop- Builder
- 1980 - 1989 Owner/Management: Trafalgar House Developments, owners
- 1989 Owner/Management: St. Paul's Arts Trust, owners
- 1993 Alteration: Underpinning and emergency works undertaken
- 1994 : Restoration and conversion into arts venueClaxton D'Auvergne Collings- ArchitectR W Bowman Ltd- BuilderPirin PlcInterior works
- 1996 Use: Arts venue
- CapacityCurrentDescription90Comment90 seated (100 standing)