Prominent sea-front site, wedged up against the face of the cliff on which stands Hastings Castle. Apart from the insertion of a floor at the level of the first balcony front the essential features of the auditorium survived until 1978 when it was finally wrecked. Although in need of maintenance and marred by a crude modern canopy the enriched terracotta exterior is basically intact. The façade lies along the axis of the auditorium/stage and is flanked at each end by imposing domed pavilions with Arts and Crafts octagonal turrets at their front corners. The pavilions are linked by four large semicircular-arched windows at first floor level and a loggia (now glazed) of squat coupled columns below the eaves of the pantiled roof. Here the style is vaguely Spanish Renaissance, reminiscent of the Middlesborough Empire.
- 1899 Design/Construction:Runtz- Architect
- 1908 Owner/Management: Hippodrome Syndicate
- 1912 Owner/Management: Messrs Somerald Ltd
- 1978 Alteration: rebuilt internally at ground floor levelUnknown- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1912: 1500
- ListingNot listed