Skip to main content

Granada

459

The Granada was a red brick building at the junction of North Street and Newbold Road, with a pitched roof and fly tower and a quite plain auditorium with barrel vaulted ceiling and a shallow curved circle front. The workable depth of stage (stripped of counterweights) was only 21ft 2in. The building had a vast auditorium and was used for pop concerts until 1970s and more recently for bingo. The building was demolished in November 2011.

Built / Converted
1933
Dates of use
  • 1933 - 1976
Current state
Demolished
Current use
Demolished
Address
North Street/Newbold Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
Plaza
Events
  • 1933 Owner/Management: Plaza (Rugby) Ltd, owners; Halford W Reddish, managing director
  • 1933 Design/Construction:
    J H & R B Lyddington (with Leathart & Granger)
    - Architect
  • 1933 Design/Construction:
    Campbell Bros Ltd (London)
    - Consultant
    fibrous plaster
  • 1933 - 1976 Use:
  • 1946 Owner/Management: Granada, owners
  • 1991 Owner/Management: Gala (Bass Brewery), owners
  • 2011 Demolition:
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Original
    Description
    1700
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
-
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: 39ft x c.25ft
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -