The Savoy was built on the site of the Avenue Theatre (Coliseum) of 1903, which burnt down in 1937. It was a cinema with a fly tower and full stage facilities, including traps. Live shows ended in the 1960s. In 1968 the circle was separated to become the Studio cinema, the stalls becoming a full-time bingo house. In 1973 the circle cinema was twinned.
The building stood empty and vandalised after 1997, and at the time of writing demolition seemed imminent.
The exterior was of brick. The entrance front had a full width canopy with a band of glazing above. The interior was cinematic with a rectangular proscenium and splayed ante-proscenium with ornamental grilles. The side walls had large painted panels (subjects not apparent from photographs). A single, slightly curved balcony spanned the auditorium.
- 1938 - 1968: (theatre and cinema)
cinema and bingo until 1997)
- Owner/Management: later: Hamblin Leisure Services
- 1903 Design/Construction: Avenue TheatreUnknown- Architect
- 1932 Alteration: remodelled with new projection roomUnknown- Architect
- 1938 Owner/Management: Jack Sherwood
- 1938 Alteration: rebuilt as Savoy (after 1937 fire)C Edmund Wilford- Architect
- 1938 - 1968 Use: (theatre and cinema)
- 1947 Owner/Management: by Clifton Cinemas Ltd, proprietors
- 1961 Owner/Management: Star circuit (Walter Ekhart)
- 1968 Alteration: stalls and circle separated for bingo and cinemaUnknown- Architect
- 1970 - 1979 Owner/Management: EMI
- 1973 Alteration: cinema in circle twinnedUnknown- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1946: 1131
stalls 630; pit 144; d circle 180; u circle 177
1990: 160 & 140
- ListingNot listed
7 dressing rooms