Skip to main content

New Theatre


Good façade to Orange Street of c.1820 - stuccoed, of three bays and three storeys. Tall windows in piano nobile with inward-sloping jambs of ‘Egyptian’ character, fashionable at the time e.g. Egyptian Hall, Piccadilly and Egyptian House, Penzance. The entrance of the theatre was earlier to the rear of the building, from Dancing School Yard. This is now a completely plain brick wall with modern windows. Theatrical use ceased in 1859 when the structure was condemned as unsafe.

A warehouse until 1960 when the interior was completely gutted and subdivided for office use. Internal evidence of former theatre use has been obliterated, but the exterior (which shows signs of e.g. blocked openings) could be worthy of close study.

Built / Converted
Dates of use
  • 1790 - 1859
Current state
Fragmental remains
Current use
Converted to other use (Offices)
Orange Street, Canterbury, Kent, England
Further details
Other names
Prince of Orange Theatre , Building is now known as ‘Theatre House’
  • Owner/Management:
  • 1790 Design/Construction:
    - Architect
  • 1790 - 1859 Use:
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Building dimensions: 45ft x 71ft 6in
Stage dimensions: -
Proscenium width: -
Height to grid: -
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -