Highbury Little Theatre

627

A mission hut was converted into a theatre in 1942 by the addition of a fly tower, stage and dressing rooms. In 1960 an adjoining shop was incorporated into the front of house as a coffee bar then, in 1982, the auditorium was rebuilt in brick and other improvements made, including the addition of a studio theatre and workshops. This piecemeal process, extending over half a century has produced a small community theatre.

Built / Converted
1942
Dates of use
  • 1942 : continuing
Current state
Extant
Current use
Theatre (amateur theatre)
Address
41 Sheffield Street, Boldmere, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, England
Website-
Further details
Other names
-
Events
  • 1942 Use: continuing
  • 1942 Design/Construction: mission hall converted to theatre
    John English
    - Architect
  • 1942 Owner/Management: Highbury Community Theatre Arts Centre, owners
  • 1960 Alteration: adjacent building incorporated into the front of house as a coffee bar
    John English
    - Architect
  • 1982 - 1986 Alteration: Array new brick auditorium; stage widened and deepened; new studio theatre added
    John English
    - Architect
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Original
    Description
    110
  • Capacity
    Later
    Description
    1986: 135
  • Capacity
    Current
    Description
    135
Listings
  • Listing
    Not listed
Stage type
Flat
Building dimensions: Frontage 54ft; depth 178ft
Stage dimensions: Depth: 33ft 4in Width SL: 14ft 5in SR: 27ft 3in
Proscenium width: 16ft x 14ft 3in
Height to grid: Various - see notes
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: Inserted 1986