The first written record of the Church of St Peter dates from 1148. It served as a regular place of worship until 1949 when closure was recommended. Following the intervention of the Winchester Preservation Trust in the early 1960s, the building was made structurally sound and gifted to the Winchester Dramatic Society in 1966. The external walls are of rough flints with limestone dressings at arisses and around windows and doors. The windows are mainly Perpendicular in style except two in the east elevation but all show signs of later full or partial replacement. Internally an intimate performance space has been created between the vestry and south aisle with an adjacent break-out area with bar and sidestage workshop store. The Tower contains storage on three levels and there is one dressing room. Planning permission is being sought in 2017 for the construction of an annexe to improve foyer and storage facilities, increase disabled access and permit greater community use.
- : 1966 continuing
- Use: 1966 continuing
- Owner/Management: Freehold property of the Winchester Diocesan Authority
- 1100 - 1199 Design/Construction: C12 as St Peter’s ChurchUnknown- Architect
- 1966 Alteration: Converted to theatreUnknown- Architect
- ListingII*Comment24.3.50; 14.1.74