This has been an interesting building but its present state is disappointing. Built in 1930 as a ciné-variety, it has suffered a succession of alterations over the last three or four decades, mostly to its detriment. It operated mainly as a full-time cinema until 1946, when it became a variety theatre. In 1957 it was a repertory theatre but closed in 1960, to reopen three years later as a skating rink. It is now a snooker hall.
Built on the corner of Bearwood Road and Dunsford Road it is faced with brick and stone. There is a short tower on the corner, which contains the entrance. Stage with fly tower. Auditorium now has a flat floor and is divided horizontally by a false ceiling. Above this, the single balcony still exists, as does the oval-domed ceiling.
Re-establishment of live theatre, if the demand arose would no doubt be possible, especially if the stage could be extended over land at the rear.
- 1930 - 1960
- Alteration: later converted to snooker hallUnknown- Architect
- 1930 Design/Construction:Horace Bradley- Architect
- 1930 - 1960 Use:
- 1930 - 1960 Owner/Management: Hewitson, owner; Osborne, owner
- 1963 Alteration: converted to skating rinkUnknown- Architect
- 1980 - 1993 Owner/Management: Sandwell Snooker Club, lessees
- 1993 Owner/Management: Sandwell local authority, owner
- 1993 Owner/Management: Sandwell Snooker Club, owners
- ListingNot listed