The identification of the Colosseum with the Alhambra, previously in doubt, now seems secure.
It must have been an unelaborate building. Reversing a more common pattern it was converted from a Salvation Army barracks (citadel?) in 1902. It opened as a touring house but its stage plays licence was withdrawn due to non-compliance with the licensing authority’s requirements. Re-opening in 1904 under a new licensee, known first as the Alhambra Music Hall, then as the Colosseum it still failed to establish itself securely and was later converted to a skating rink. It reopened as a ciné-variety house in 1911, renamed, about 1913, as the Palace of Varieties.
The old building was demolished in 1933 and a new cinema built, reopening in 1935 but with no provision for stage shows. In 1963 this became a warehouse. So far as the theatre is concerned, it ceased to exist in 1933.
- 1904 - 1933
- Owner/Management: Arnold Grahame, proprietor
- 1902 Design/Construction: converted from Salvation Army BarracksUnknown- Architect
- 1902 Owner/Management: John H Morton, proprietor
- 1904 Alteration: alterations, extension and redecorationUnknown- Architect
- 1904 - 1908 Owner/Management: Douglas C Phelps, proprietor
- 1904 - 1933 Use:
- 1910 Owner/Management: Jennings, licensee
- 1911 Owner/Management: Alfred Edwards, licensee
- 1911 Alteration: converted for ciné-varietyUnknown- Architect
- 1912 Owner/Management: Daniel Davies, licensee
- 1914 Owner/Management: Round & Hopkins, lessee
- 1927 Owner/Management: Pat Collins, lessee
- 1927 - 1933 Owner/Management: Miles Jervis Snr, lessee
- ListingNot listed