The Corn Exchange was built with a public hall (St George’s Hall) at rear, used as a lecture hall. In 1925, the main space, now known as the Albert Hall, was converted to an assembly room for concerts, etc and art gallery. When Robert Digby founded the local repertory company, the hall was converted to a small theatre, incorporating the rear hall for stage space, etc. This arrangement lasted until 1972 when the Mercury Theatre opened. The building now houses a bank.
The façade is in Classical style, single storey with attic. Central bay of three arched entrance doors with two Doric columns between; outer bays, each with tall round-headed window.
- 1925 - 1972
- Owner/Management: Local authority
- 1845 Design/Construction: as Corn ExchangeRaphael Brandon- Architect
- 1925 Alteration: converted to assembly hall and art galleryBorough Architect?- Architect
- 1925 - 1972 Use:
- 1937 Alteration: Clarke & Beckett, converted to small theatreDuncan- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1946: 363
- ListingNot listed