Hippodrome

118

A large variety theatre, red brick with terracotta dressings and a partially remaining slated hipped roof. Advanced end bays, with recessed banded corners. The main entrance was at the corner. In the auditorium, the stalls are below street level with two, deep, slightly-curved balconies above. The 1930 alterations seemed to be fairly limited, mainly the small single boxes on either side at first balcony level (now mostly demolished). They were framed by giant pilasters carrying a serpentine pediment. The remaining rectangular proscenium is surmounted by a big segment-headed panel framing a garland. The flat ceiling had concentric circular moulded panels in a rectangular frame, and all surfaces were detailed with rich Baroque plasterwork. The Hippodrome was used as a bingo hall from 1959, bingo operations ceasing in January 2007 when the theatre was sold to a property developer. Well situated in the City Centre, the theatre still has the potential to be rebuilt and restored to theatre use, providing Derby with an elegant touring theatre. Incidents of vandalism followed, including an arson attack within the orchestra pit, causing damage to the auditorium. Subsequent 'essential repairs' in 2008 removed part of the roof, leaving the building partially demolished. Several further small fires have caused more damage. The Hippodrome could provide Derby with a 1000-1200 seat Lyric theatre, but in its current state of disrepair it has a very uncertain future. The Derby Hippodrome Restoration Trust (DHRT) has been trying to secure and rebuild the theatre. To this end, DHRT has successfully listed the Site of Derby Hippodrome as an Asset of Community Value and has completed a structural assessment and a valuation of the building thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund Start-Up grant. The theatre lies in a conservation area.

Built / Converted
1914
Dates of use
  • 1914 - 1930: Theatre
  • 1930 - 1950: Cinema
  • 1950 - 1955: Theatre
  • 1959 - 2007: Bingo
Current state
Extant
Current use
Disused (partially demolished; currently at risk)
Address
Green Lane, Derby, Derbyshire, DE1 1ES, England
Further details
Other names
-
Events
  • 1914 Design/Construction:
    Marshall & Tweedy
    - Architect
  • 1914 - 1930 Use: Theatre
  • 1930 Alteration: converted to cinema
    Unknown
    - Architect
  • 1930 - 1950 Use: Cinema
  • 1940 Owner/Management: Rank (1944 Purchased by Prince Littler/Stoll)
  • 1950 Owner/Management: Stoll Theatres Corporation
  • 1950 - 1955 Use: Theatre
  • 1959 - 2007 Use: Bingo
  • 1961 Owner/Management: Mecca Ltd
  • 1982 Owner/Management: Walkers Ltd
  • 2007 Owner/Management: Christopher Anthony, owner
  • 2008 Alteration: Fire in auditorium, February 2008, followed by partial demolition during 'essential repairs'.
  • 2015 Owner/Management: Blake Finance, owner, continuing
Capacities
  • Capacity
    Later
    Description
    1950: c.1650
  • Capacity
    Current
    Description
    est. 1800
Listings
  • Listing
    II
Stage type
Rake 1:24. Proscenium
Building dimensions: -
Stage dimensions: Depth: 10.05m (33ft) Width SL: 8.22m (26ft 11in) SR: 10.66m (35ft)
Proscenium width: 10.66m (35ft)
Height to grid: 15.23m (50ft)
Inside proscenium: -
Orchestra pit: -