The first cinema, constructed in 1912, was built by Victor Cox. It seated 200, enlarged eighteen months later to seat 389.
Between 1920 and 1922, a new cinema was constructed over the old one, with a tea room, also at first floor. Later, a parade of shops was designed underneath, incorporating much of the first cinema space. The cinema had stage facilities, a dressing room block at PS, with connecting door, fly gallery and grid.
Modern alterations have concealed, rather than removed the old finishes. The auditorium and its balcony are intact, save for the box fronts and the organ which were removed some years ago. A false ceiling now extends from the balcony front to the proscenium. From the fly gallery, approached from the passageway which served the side boxes, can be seen the stage and extent of the proscenium. The deading cleats establish the position of the original bars. The grid survives. It should be possible to restore to theatre use.
The interior decoration is extremely uncommon in that all of what appears to be plaster decoration, including the ceiling, is comprised of pressed metal plates of various dimensions. This type of decorative lining, common in North America, is rarely found in Britain. Only one other fragmentary surviving example (a cinema) is known.
Good main elevation with five bay centre, looking rather like a market hall with broad gabled outer bays, boldly arched at first floor.
- 1920 - 1922
- 1912 Design/Construction:Victor Cox- Architect
- 1913 - 1914 Alteration: enlargedUnknown- Architect
- 1920 Owner/Management: Victor Cox (Founder of C Cinephone Co?)
- 1920 Owner/Management: Later: The Clevedon Cinephone Co Ltd
- 1920 - 1922 Use:
- 1920 - 1922 Alteration: built new cinema above oldVictor Cox- Architect
- 1922 Alteration: box fronts and organ removedUnknown- Architect
- CapacityLaterDescription1951: 810
- ListingIICommentListed after representations by the Trust, November 1996